Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Farmworker Food Insecurity: Brown & Getz Response

 From reading this article, the point that stuck out to me the most was the fact that farmers that are in the business of feeding hundreds and hundreds of mouths, are struggling to put food on their own tables for themselves and their family. This is absolutely a shocking thing to hear, because I know for myself, I can personally say that the injustice within the farming industry has never crossed my mind. I have never thought about the fact that the people producing the food we value so much and depend non everyday, may not even make enough money to sustain their own lives and overall health. 

As Brown and Getz explain, a lot of the laborers and farmers that do all the hard work we overlook, tend to be migrant workers, so it doesn't shock me to hear the fact that they are not even making a livable wage because for some reason, that is somehow "okay" to do that to someone in society this day in age. 

As for another aspect of this issue, there is so much negative stigma surrounding the idea of migrant workers and immigrants in general, when in reality they are doing the work that many people born in the U.S are not particularly drawn to. Migrant workers are constantly working to make a better life for themselves and their families, which is why they see the United States as such an opportunity for a "newer, better life", but to hear that they are not even making enough money to feed themselves in blatant food insecurity widespread to the people who make sure we are food secure. 

No comments:

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...