Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Hidden hotspots

 Learning that the planting of the three sister was also called milpa was interesting. I had heard of planting corn, peas and squash together was and old native American method of growing. I had also known that it was a beneficial way of growing the three plants. However, I had not known its name or that it originated in Mexico area. I had also heard of the beneficial root fungi in my Regenerative Agriculture lab, but I had never heard that there are one that the author referred to as selfish AMFs. Lastly, hearing the difference between the farms in the northwest American and Mexico was both inspiring and a little sad to hear about. The farm in Mexico sound like it was more mirrored in nature whereas the farm in the United States seemed like the typical monoculture farm that had nothing but a single plant with farmers that believe their methods to be the civilized way and thus superior method of farming when compared to Mexican farmers. To me this thinking leads the US farmers to believe themselves superior and to thus then look down on the Mexican farmers believing they have been doing it wrong for their entire lives.

1 comment:

Dani Romanoski said...

I agree that it was interesting to hear about the milpa technique and the benefits of growing these three crops together, and how much of a difference it made within these farms compared to the average farm. I agree that more often than not the U.S refers to themselves as superior, when in reality they are missing out on helpful farming tactics just because they do not want to change their ways or adapt to better techniques.

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...