Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Chapter 3

This chapter mentioned the fractured habitats in Central Valley, the small hotspots of biodiversity scattered through all the monocultures. This made me think of the butterfly habitat simulation I did in environmental biology lab recently. The simulation showed the effects of having scattered habitats. Most of the time, the butterfly metapopulation was able to maintain its numbers. So hopefully these small pockets can survive!

I loved the fact that even squash bees prefer polyculture to squash monoculture! 

I enjoyed more fungi information and i look forward to hearing Ava's comments during class :)

This statement stood out (paraphrase): everyone wants healthy fertile soil, which is only obtained through biodiversity underground, which relies on biodiversity above ground. Every farmer wants fertile soil, so we should be increasing biodiversity!

I am fascinated by traditional methods of agriculture, and I was excited to read about the milpas. I've heard of the three sisters before: beans, corn, and squash together. It makes so much sense and I really want to try it myself soon.

I found it ironic that even monoculture farms have polyculture gardens. It's just sad the biodiversity of a small scale personal garden isn't extended to the large scale. 

I also love learning about words in other languages that give a peak into that culture's way of life. In maya, there is no word for agriculture, but the closest word means "working with nature". I think "working with nature" is what our food systems are meant to be!

While I found this chapter interesting, it also displayed a complicated web of people, motives, governments, and selfishness and survival. Its messy and not inherently right and wrong, which frustrates me.

I also loved the irony of draining the fields in the marshlands to increase the growing time to increase yeilds, but instead doing so reduced fertility and reduced yields. 

I was impressed by the Mexicans' advanced soil science. They had 60 soil classes and a word for land degraded by careless farming! 

I loved the concept of calling an undesired plant a "non-crop plant" vs a "weed"! I've never liked the word weed, especially referring to stuff like dandelions that can be so beautiful and useful! However, I am still unconvinced that thistle is only a "non-crop plant" because I have yet to see any benefit it has to their environment other than to be a pain in the butt.

Finally, I loved the comparison of long, harsh, unpleasant, and tiring harvests in the US to the communal, fun, and fruitful harvests of Mexico (and most past cultures). I wish we still had that sort of community and attitude towards our food system. 


1 comment:

SheaLynn said...

I am also looking forward to avas commentary in class for the fungi's benefits. learning more about the traditional methods of agriculture still being used in Mexico was interesting and inspirational for it is very close if not exactly what we are trying to practice in regenerative agriculture field lab.

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...