Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Food justice and municipal government

 This article by Megan Horst explores how food justice initiatives and local governments are connected. I never realized just how much our local governments do and are responsible for when it comes to issues like food insecurity. I am very big fan and supporter of people growing their own food locally and working together within their communities to feed each other. I'm a fan of small government and I think the idea of "voting with our dollar" is a good thing considering the fact that consumers can effect large corporations if enough people work together. I agree that some big agro companies definitely do prioritize individual profit over social good, which should not be the case when it comes to feeding hungry people. I think it's important to engage in politics and petition our local governments to make positive changes regarding food security for all. Things that municipal governments have implemented such as community gardens, urban farming initiatives, land use policies, food system plans, and local farmers markets in underfunded neighborhood have been great improvements. There is still much to do when it comes to food justice and I think we need more people to get involved and used their voices to try and impact leader of our communities to make positive changes. Implementing food system planners was a great idea and not only does it create jobs but those jobs then focus on providing access to healthy food and food security. 

No comments:

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...