Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Farmers markets

 

    What I took from this reading is that the majority of Americans in California have the idea that the majority of farmers are white. When in reality the farms are owned by whites and the shops where the produce is sold is staffed by whites, but the ones doing the farming are of a minority. To me this could be made better by educating the people. To my understanding the majority of farms in that area have been passed down for generations and the workers the minority do have the choice of where they work for those that are not immigrants as the treatment of immigrants is completely different. As for the ones selling the food at markets those selling the food if they are not part of the family then they are hired employees and the farm could be excluding minorities selling for them, but it could also just be them hiring whoever they can afford to pay to sell their product. For the most part from what I understood the problems they are discussing are easily fixed.  

1 comment:

Maggie Stoudt said...

Slightly related, I know of a farm/bakery stand at a farmers market that hires local kids to actually vend at markets. The farmers have other stuff to do and the business does multiple markets on a given Saturday. I think getting local kids involved is kinda cool.
That said though, most of the time the farm I work for is represented by a 30 year old white guy (except occasionally me!), because that currently makes up the entire farm crew!

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...