Monday, February 5, 2024

Neoliberalism

 

I found the idea of allowing the market to decide where food is supplied from and grown an interesting idea. For instance, when Alkon said that some felt the only way to protect their families from things like pesticides was to get food from local farmers that could be trusted. This made me think of how I prefer to shop from farmers markets, but I prefer it because to me the food tastes better and fresher. Although the fresher part could likely be that it’s not being shipped across country. The one problem with this though is that everything has a growing season so if you want fresh vegetables and fruit in winter the only choice is from the corporations that ship across the country and bring things in from other countries. As for removing the government from this I do not think that completely removing them is necessary maybe a more relaxed presence and the volunteers that Alkon mentioned would do most of the work but when needed the government could step in should some major discovery that needs more funding be found. What I mean by this is that the people are in control but if something needs to be shut down or stop being used as it is causing health problems then the government would step in to deal with it. Overall, I found the idea of neoliberalism interesting. Although I do not agree that volunteer groups should have full control over the food in a state.

No comments:

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...