Monday, February 5, 2024

Neoliberalism- FREE MARKET

 This article was a lot to digest. It was my first time ever hearing about this political economic philosophy called Neoliberalism. Despite this, I think the philosophy makes perfect sense, a free market with little/no state involvement would make everybody happy (except for corporation owners). But let them be sad, they are the ones we can thank for cheap processed goods. 

Even after watching last week's Ted Talk and participating in class discussion, I still held a little a confusion on what food justice really meant, but I loved how a couple pages into this article, Alkon pulls a quote from Rasheed Hislop that describes food justice with a simple sentence. "Food justice is a struggle against racism." I think racism is the main enemy of food justice, and improved personal and ecological health are things that will get better after racism becomes a much less significant factor. From the article, the strongest ways to help fight for personal and ecological health improvements are by creating more cooperative ownerships, organizing labor, and outlawing risky technology. However, the one that stood out to me the most was creating more cooperative ownerships. If the important decisions of a company are left to the actual workers to vote upon, I think there would be a lot less racism in the workforce and a lot more diversity. 

   

2 comments:

SheaLynn said...

I also found that parts of the article where hard to comprehend. I also find your thought on racism being the biggest enemy of food justice interesting. I agree that it is very important to reduce and eventually eliminate it, but I think that allowing experts workers having more control over foods is also important.

Declan Nicodemus said...

Shealynn, what do you mean when you say allowing expert workers have more control over food??

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...