Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Food Justice and the Challenge to Neoliberalism

 

In this week’s article, Alkon covered a multitude of issues within our food systems and barriers our citizens face. I was introduced to the concept of Neo-liberalism which shocked me to learn that we’re experiencing it firsthand. There were a few more topics that piqued my interest Alkon talked about like food deserts, food co-ops, and my favorite of all… slandering industrial agriculture, so let’s start there! At first, I was somewhat deterred from the article because I seen 10 or more pages, but as soon as the cons of modern agriculture became the topic, I couldn’t stop reading. Alkon includes crucial information on how current food production is, being a Regen agriculture major I was familiar with the information so let me sum it up. She briefly covers how our current agricultural practices are doing irreversible damage to our land and we’re producing more pesticide infected food than organic.

           

            Another topic in the article that stood out to me was organic farming was always neglected. Just like minority farmers weren’t approved for the government subsidies programs, organic farmers didn’t either resulting in them only having smaller farms and homesteads. It’s crazy how events like the dust bowl needing to happen for people to shed some light on organic agriculture. Before we get too deep into that topic, I want to address the new information on food desserts I learned. This seems like it’ll be a recurring topic, so it doesn’t hurt to share. Alkon talks about how the government addresses solving the problem by just placing more supermarkets or any food establishment. Without really thinking about it, the average person would probably agree that solves the problem even when it doesn’t. Alkon makes it clear that it’s more than just accessibility, there’s other root causes like racism and poverty. It so insane to me how our government go about things, they’ll implement incentives for a corporation to start business in an area of poverty rather than just making the food affordable.

No comments:

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...