Monday, February 19, 2024

Food insecurity

 

From what I understood from this reading is that the farmers that are producing the food for everyone cannot afford to feed themselves and their families. I would assume that having farmers that cannot afford to feed their own families would then cause them to go looking for other jobs and selling their own land so they can hopefully find better pay to support their families. I would then think that much like in our area the buyers of that land would build warehouses on the land. Also, the farmers would no longer be producing food and the more and more farmers that leave the trade to support their families will cause less and less food being produce which would then in turn cause the need for more food to be imported which in turn would rise food prices. I would also think that corporations would not want to lose their farmers because it is not more expensive to import food. I do not understand the logic of underpaying the farmers because to me they would lose more money in the long run than if they just paid them fairly. I feel as though if those that are producing the food are suffering then eventually everyone will begin to feel the effects of their suffering. Causing everyone's food security to be put at risk. 

1 comment:

Maggie Stoudt said...

Sometimes I think paying farmworkers is not just about greedy managers or evil intentions. I made less as a farmworker than I could have at Walmart. The CSA I worked for barely eeked out a profit, and the main farmer was also making an unfair wage for all the work he put in. However, this is partly because the organic farm was a non-profit, so maybe that is a factor...

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...