Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Using food as Radical Empathy

     In this TED talk I found how she connected racism to food. The idea that food could have an impact on this strangely made sense in that it could bring people together. For example, the lady that had a tea party bringing rival gangs together. It made me think that if food could be used to bring opposing sides together then maybe after the meal, they could leave understanding each other just a little more even if they only enjoyed the food. like with the news people who would write negative articles about Muslims but for lunch would eat their food. I feel that if they actually had a meal sitting beside each other knowing they enjoy the food then they may be more inclined to a more positive conversation so as not to spoil the food. I feel as though this professor Alkon did indeed have a point that food could be used to bring people together though it would take a long time to fully come together. I could definitely be used as a steppingstone to start and continue the process. 

No comments:

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...