Monday, January 29, 2024

Food as Radical Empathy


    As Alkon argues, food can be a connection between people. Christian communion, family dinners, or Friendsgiving. These examples are usually people who already have a lot in common and are used to sharing these meals. Empathy, though, is the ability to "put oneself in another's shoes" and may look like eating unfamiliar foods. I think trying different cultures cuisine is a great way to be open to learning about and respecting other people. 

I personally have seen an example of the socioeconomic gap related to healthy food. I’ve worked for a small, local, and organic CSA and know that our customers’ main demographic is wealthier, often older community members. Although each food item, like a lb. of potatoes or bunch of carrots, equals only $3-4, the overall price for a CSA share is more than many people can afford. I hear people complain about the prices, but I’m also out in the fields sweating, being poked by thistle, working hard and getting paid less than I could be making at Walmart- so I think the prices a justified.  

Just because fresh produce is available and affordable doesn’t mean it's entirely accessible. I can take whatever produce, mushrooms, and meat I want from the CSA for free but most of the time I don’t! That’s my own fault but heating up some chicken nuggets or getting french fries for Chick-fil-a seems so much easier! I still don’t know why I decide to spend money and eat food that makes me feel gross instead of cooking fresh, free healthy food for myself. I don’t have an answer yet, but my perspective helps me understand partly why few other people take the initiative to get a CSA share, grow a garden, and have a nutritious diet. 

1 comment:

Dani Romanoski said...

Maggie, you make a really good point in stating that people who are working for some places of mass consumption/production are making far more than the people doing the actual work for the products being consumed/produced, and I'm so sorry to hear that that is the case for you! :( It is unfortunate and completely unfair, but the sad reality for a lot of people nowadays! I also like that you included the fact that, especially as college students, it's much easier to gravitate towards quicky, easy, and cheap foods/meals because although we know other foods are healthier, it's not always an option for everyone, due to their expensive nature, or the time it consumes to prepare the food.

Chapter 4 and conclusion

  I found reading about rotational swidden agriculture very intriguing. I had never even heard of this before, so it seemed very resourceful...